SADIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for SADIA members

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Theory Test

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Linfluence
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
Linfluence

Theory Test Empty
PostSubject: Theory Test   Theory Test Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 3:22 pm

From 1st January 2012 the multiple choice theory test will be generated using new, unpublished questions. At the end of 2010 Road Safety Minister Mike Penning said:

“The driving theory test should help to prepare drivers for real life on the road – good driving is not just about vehicle-handling skills, but also about having the knowledge and understanding of safe driving theory. No longer publishing these questions and answers will mean that successful candidates will have to understand the theory rather than simply memorising answers. I believe that this – along with the other changes we are making to the driving test regime – will lead to better drivers and safer roads.”

In September 2011 the DSA are planning to change the format of books and learning aids available for people preparing to take the theory test.... and not allow outside agencies to publish them. At the same time, the DSA will be introducing more challenging case studies to the theory test.

I wondered how other instructors were planning to advise their clients to prepare for this test in the future!!?? Interested to hear your views....... Wink
Back to top Go down
http://hppt://www.1nfluence.co.uk
Jules
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
Jules

Theory Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theory Test   Theory Test Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 3:34 pm

Hi Lin,

Yes I for one am already telling pupils about the change to the theory test. I have serveral pupils who have passed their theory, but within a few weeks, when I question them on simple road signs, they have no idea what they mean. Bless them!! It does need changing. Im not sure what they mean about the questions are 'no longer going to be published' as there cant be that many more questions that arent in the books that will already be floating about out there !!

Anyway, We (sadia) are looking into holding theory lessons at the scout hall once the new year comes. As we understand it you need a licence to do this sort of thing. We thought it was a good idea at the last committee meeting. Chris Kingsley was looking into the cost of the licence etc for the next meeting so we can hopefully progress the matter further.

Think it maybe only you & I talking on this forum at the moment. But maybe the others will follow, one day soon.......
Back to top Go down
http://www.julieswheels.co.uk
Linfluence
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
Linfluence

Theory Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theory Test   Theory Test Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 4:49 am

Like the sound of the SADIA theory lessons Julie, and would be interested in how you see them being formatted.

IMO the change will ensure that the majority of learners have better knowledge and understanding of the theory aspects of driving. It will also make sure they have prepared well rather than just learning answers from the published question bank...... However, I am concerned at how this may affect the 1 in 5 that have some form of hidden learning difficulty and therefore think that more than one approach is going to be needed.

Back to top Go down
Jules
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
Jules

Theory Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theory Test   Theory Test Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 3:23 pm

Hi Lin

Yes I agree. I think the new theory test will be a change for the better. Anything that makes a pupil think more in depth about the questions is a welcome change. Most of my pupils, I am sure, learn for the theory test as a simple question & answer session rather than understanding the true meanings behind the questions & the answers. Therefore the theory side of driving quickly slips away.

To be honest though, I think us old folk should remember what its like to be 17. I was just desperate to be able to drive then. I wasnt the driver in those days that I am now. I dont think we can expect our pupils to be the drivers we are, no matter how good we are as instructors. That comes with maturity.

At 17 the theory test is just an 'exam' they need to pass in order to be able to drive a car. Thats their aim. To be mobile & not have to catch the bus!! Often safety isnt uppermost in their thoughts. I watched my 17 year old son move off the other day. No blind spot check.... when I reminded him about it he smiled. I thought I had drummed it into him. I obviously hadn't !! So in my opinion, any change in the theory test that makes the pupil understand the safety aspect of driving is welcome.

Another issue I have at the moment, is that I have one pupil in particular who is struggling with the theory test. I dont feel I can spend too long on theory with her during a lesson when she is paying for a practical lesson. She does have learning difficulties but I think she would still be an ideal candidate for the theory lessons at the scout hall.

The theory lessons are at the moment, at an early stage. As I said, Chris Kingsley is looking into the legal side of it as there are several licences that can be applied for. The committee has discussed how we could proceed but nothing has been decided as yet. Obviously any learning difficulties would be a separate issue. However any input from members, im sure would be appreciated Wink
Back to top Go down
Linfluence
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
Linfluence

Theory Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theory Test   Theory Test Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 11:46 pm

G'morning Julie,

The bit where you say 'I thought I had drummed it into him. I obviously hadn't !! is what is at the heart of the Coaching vs Instruction debate.... and it takes some understanding. I believe that the DSA and, from what Steve Garrod said at the last SADIA meeting, the DIA still believe that coaching is about asking ever ending questions and that we're doing much of it already! Mad But that is the stuff for another thread I guess!! Shocked

I know that the DSA are working at making the wording of the questions for the new test less ambiguous, but case studies will always be difficult for some of our clients, however they are worded. Those with a read/write learning style have been fortunate with the structure of the current theory test. Im hoping that visual, aural and kinaesthetic learners will have DSA material targetted at them too when the test changes. With 1 in 5 of the population quoted as having some sort of learning difficulty, many are clearly undiagnosed! If the DSA are truly serious about client centred learning this will be organised!! We'll see!! Rolling Eyes

Right.... work... need to get @rse in gear!! bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Lesley
Lesley

Theory Test Empty
PostSubject: Can I chip in?   Theory Test Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 5:41 am

Only me. I have had the same probs - those that have passed don't have a clue when you ask them a simple question on the road. Even just 'what does that sign mean?'. I know I'm getting on a bit, but when I took my test, I only had a few 'in car' questions but the examiner really knew if you actually understood what you were saying!

Nowadays, they are left with a computer to learn on their own, and they won't do more than they have to.

Like the idea of theory training, hope it takes off.
Back to top Go down
Jules
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
Jules

Theory Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theory Test   Theory Test Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 1:54 pm

Hope the theory lessons take off too.
Its need some thought first though !!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Theory Test Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theory Test   Theory Test Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Theory Test
Page 1 of 1