SADIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for SADIA members

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Medical enquiry!!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Linfluence
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
Linfluence

Medical enquiry!! Empty
PostSubject: Medical enquiry!!   Medical enquiry!! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 12:59 am

I have a new client that suffers from Anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis is an allergic condition that can be severe and potentially life threatening. Anaphylaxis is your body's immune system reacting badly to something, such as food.

Her condition is chronic and although it is generally triggered by swallowing certain foodstuff, she collapsed last week having had no food (or drink other than water) at all and tests are still being done to determine the onset...... she requires an injection with her Epipen within a minute or she will collapse with breathing issues!! She will not be in a fit state to do this herself or to instruct anyone as to what she needs or how it should be done .....and where we live, it takes an ambulance 30 minutes, even on blue lights, to arrive!!

I have no issue with potentially using the Epipen, but feel I need written consent to ‘cover my back’.... What do you think??

Thanks for your thoughts....... scratch
Back to top Go down
http://hppt://www.1nfluence.co.uk
ChrisandRuth
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
ChrisandRuth

Medical enquiry!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Medical enquiry!!   Medical enquiry!! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 3:39 am

sunny I agree, you probably need some prior consent. At our first aid class, we were advised that you should still get them to hold the epipen while you provide the strength. It is a difficult issue.

Are DVLA aware? It may be that if they are having difficulties, that driving is not for them at this time, I would speak with DVLA medical section just to clarify things, they could probably advise you about the epipen as well.

sunny
Back to top Go down
Linfluence
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
Linfluence

Medical enquiry!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Medical enquiry!!   Medical enquiry!! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 3:03 pm

Smile Thanks Chris, I was hoping you might reply!

DVLA were aware of her condition when she applied for her provisional license and raised no objections or conditions to its issue. Her recent 'episode' was probably triggered by airborne steamed veggies, although this may never be confirmed. GP says no problem, although we have had to shorten lessons and alter the frequency as she is still quite weak.

I have a current emergency first aid cert and have had previous training in administering the epipen injection thingy and have no objection or fear of doing this! Car is vacuumed and all controls are cleaned with dettol wipes to ensure no cross-contamination from the hands of other drivers before her lesson.

I've e'mailed a teacher friend in the hope of getting some formal wording to cover this!!
Back to top Go down
ChrisandRuth
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
ChrisandRuth

Medical enquiry!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Medical enquiry!!   Medical enquiry!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 6:21 pm

sunny
Hi Lin

How did you get on with this.

There is a FREE downloadble book call the At A Glance Guide to the current medical standards of fitness to drive.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's 55 pages long and is a rough overveiw, a bit daunting at first due to some of the medical language but once you get used to it, it's really informative. Another book that should be part of ADI training Smile

It doesn't specifically talk about allergy but in the introduction it does state 'In the interests of road safety, those who suffer from a medical condition likely to cause a sudden disabling event at the wheel or who are unable to safely control their vehicle from any other cause, should not drive'.
Does she get enough warning to pull over safely? I think that I would take that as my guide. Good luck with her anyway.

sunny
Back to top Go down
Linfluence
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
Linfluence

Medical enquiry!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Medical enquiry!!   Medical enquiry!! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 2:42 am

Hi Chris

I have taken what I feel is a 'reasonable' stance on this!! Neutral I'm happy that my client and her parents have felt able to discuss this with me, as lets face it. I might be completely unaware and in the dark otherwise!! We have discussed each of our roles and responsibilities openly!

We have agreed to and both signed a protocol under which lessons will take place. This lays out each of our responsibilities for each lesson: it includes things like: current health, cleanliness of car, what medication, where it is kept, how it is stored, emergency routines and many other details!!

From a legal angle, I have copies of paperwork exchanged with DVLA and, when I see her this afternoon I will have a written statement from her GP regarding her ability to drive. All learner clients sign an appointment and payment record at the start of each lesson and hers includes a statement re fitness to drive (part of which I had gleaned from the document you linked to!!).

Her 'triggers' have always been to do with peas, lentils and nuts and although she didn't actually eat those things this time, she was working in a kitchen with windows closed and the evidence seems to point toward an irritant that was airborne. All this is extremely unlikely to ever happen in the car, but even at this stage of her lessons, we are going through medical emergency procedures should she be driving at any time and especially when driving alone!

I'm hoping I've covered all bases, not just for her and I, but regarding road safety in general. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Medical enquiry!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Medical enquiry!!   Medical enquiry!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Medical enquiry!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SADIA :: SADIA Forums :: General Discussion-
Jump to: