SADIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for SADIA members

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New 80mph limits on our motorways?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Linfluence
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
Linfluence

New 80mph limits on our motorways? Empty
PostSubject: New 80mph limits on our motorways?   New 80mph limits on our motorways? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 9:14 am

bounce There has been increasing talk of the raising of speed limits on motorways, saying that it will boost the ecomony of all things!!

Rolling Eyes Found this article just now: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

bom bom bom It's a brave Minister who cuts road safety budgets, cuts the number of traffic police, removes funding for speed cameras, cuts 'lollipop' jobs, cuts the roads maintenance budget, removes the targets to reduce death and serious injury on the roads AND then increases fuel duty, increases the threshold for a fixed penalty speeding fine as well as increasing speeds on motorways? And the estimated 18% raise in pollution levels caused by an increase in traffic speed falls in line with which of the Govt's green policies.....interesting!

Back to top Go down
http://hppt://www.1nfluence.co.uk
Lesley
Lesley

PostSubject: Oh Dear!   New 80mph limits on our motorways? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 6:25 am

Mixed feelings on this, but I do agree that in some places, speed limits encourage stupid driving because they are too low.
I would generally think that in good conditions, with a good, well maintained car, and an alert driver, 80 should be fine but where you gonna get all those together!!! Present company excepted.

My feelings are that drivers should be able to judge a safe speed for themselves but as some can't, speed limits have been set low to compensate!!! Unfortunately that just encourages certain types to take extra risks and drive more dangerously to get past causing more accidents due to speed, which could in turn lead to a reduction in the speed limit...

Sadly, (and I think this applies more to Motorways and Dual C's) by controlling the speed limits more and more, drivers are dumbed down and told what speed is safe (obviously this is totally necessary in some situations) and think less and less for themselves. BUT, but as we all know, the speed limit is not always a safe speed, we must judge...and those who can't, drive too fast for the conditions, so we have accidents caused by excessive speed and then the speed limits are reduced....and we go round again!

I obviously do have a problem with speed limits and the general public's attitude to speeding from my above rant.

Increasing the motorway speed limit to 80 will encourage more drivers to drive 'just over' the limit (as majority of drivers do at any speed), and the general speed on our motorways will reach more like 90 - unless there is a REAL deterrent forcing them to keep to 80.

Having spent a lot of time thought on speeding, my feelings are that the government need to stop faffing about and actuall STOP people speeding...then maybe they can think about increasing speed limits according to the roads. Our Government is pathetic...how they can publicly announce that police will 'turn a blind eye' up to 80mph on a motorway is despicable...it's the law for goodness sake!!!

Surely at the end of the day, Road Safety is the key...not saving money? If the son or daughter of one of the ministers behind these suggestions were to be killed or seriously injured on the motorway whilst driving at 80 then I bet they'd change their tune.

Also, like the comment on Facebook, that cars could reach speeds of 80mph (or sneak up to 90mph) when HGV's are limited to 56mph! Huge difference, which many drivers will find hard to judge = Potential impact speed of 34 mph - messy.

I need to calm down now as I have to drive. I'll try to stick to the speed limit, but I know I'll probably get away with it so why not????
Back to top Go down
Linfluence
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
Linfluence

PostSubject: Re: New 80mph limits on our motorways?   New 80mph limits on our motorways? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 9:40 am

Shocked Shocked Shocked Well Phillip Hammond has announced that there will be a public consultation...... probably as open as the majority of other government consultations!!

Details here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
ChrisandRuth
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
ChrisandRuth

PostSubject: Re: New 80mph limits on our motorways?   New 80mph limits on our motorways? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 4:33 pm

sunny

Hi Lin, Hey Lesley, I looked at that press release;
Quote:-
Vehicles have changed dramatically since the current national speed limit was set in 1965. Technological advances mean that cars are significantly safer then they were - contributing to a fall of more than 75% in the number of people killed on British roads since 1965. That is why the Government feels it is now time to look again at whether the speed limit set in 1965 is still appropriate.

Does this mean that they want to keep the casualty stats up? affraid

sunny
Back to top Go down
Linfluence
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
Linfluence

PostSubject: Re: New 80mph limits on our motorways?   New 80mph limits on our motorways? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 12:30 am

bounce bounce Mornin' All

Transport Secretary Philip Hammond said the current limit, introduced in 1965, was out of date due to "huge advances in safety and motoring technology".

There is little doubt that new technology has reduced crash risk, but surely any increase in speed is likely to increase casualties!?!?!? I'm really struggling to find a positive eason for possible change here! Rolling Eyes

My thought is that it is often the difference in speed that causes the most horrendous crashes.... we can talk about observation, anticipation, appropriate speed, forward planning etc but surely with trucks limited to 56mph in the driving lane, while others are travelling at 80mph (or more) the increased difference in speed must cause higher KSI figures !! Have I missed something?!?!?

Back to top Go down
Lesley
Lesley

PostSubject: 80 mph on Motorway   New 80mph limits on our motorways? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2011 5:54 am

No...don't think you've missed anything.

Technology may have improved, but surely no matter how good the car is, it is still dependent on a good driver??? And that the vehicle is maintained by a good owner.

Human's still drive, and their ability has not improved.

I think the speed limits could do with reviewing, but only alongside a review of driver training and better law enforcement.

Stay safe out there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New 80mph limits on our motorways?   New 80mph limits on our motorways? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New 80mph limits on our motorways?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SADIA :: SADIA Forums :: General Discussion-
Jump to: