SADIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for SADIA members

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ChrisandRuth
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
ChrisandRuth

A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do? Empty
PostSubject: A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do?   A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 4:59 pm

???????????????? sunny
Back to top Go down
Max

PostSubject: Re: A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do?   A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 11:18 pm

ChrisandRuth wrote:
???????????????? sunny

What did you say when he phoned?

Oh hang on, it doesn't matter, he won't have heard ...

But seriously, have a look at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
ChrisandRuth
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
ChrisandRuth

PostSubject: Re: A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do?   A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 4:50 pm

Hi Max

At least I have one brave reply sunny

The deaf person used this service

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Another useful link is

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

But what if I said I've never taught a deaf person before. Should I turn them down?

sunny
Back to top Go down
Jules
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
Jules

PostSubject: Re: A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do?   A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 1:41 pm

I remember reading somewhere about courses for sign langage for ADIs - but cant remember where, so Im not being very helpful. Im not suggesting you go on a course. but if you google they may have a contact list. Or I suppose depending on how deaf she is - does she lip read?? You could consider it a challange. I had a partially deaf lady from scratch & she passed first time. Had to do alot of stopping & lip reading, hearing the engine sound took a while too but it was good fun.

Back to top Go down
http://www.julieswheels.co.uk
Jules
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
Jules

PostSubject: Re: A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do?   A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 1:43 pm

Just read the last bit.... should you turn them down. I didnt was a bit scared how it would go but it was fine. I think you are just posing a question. I dont think you would turn them down without assessing them for one minute !!! Very Happy

Last edited by Jules on Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ChrisandRuth
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
ChrisandRuth

PostSubject: Re: A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do?   A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 3:59 pm

sunny

I am just posing a question.

Learning to sign is like learning another language, it takes years and needs plenty of practise.
Is it practical to sign when your student is driving?
What about an extra mirror so they can read your lips?
Just posing questions Laughing

Is there any legislation I should know about?

sunny
Back to top Go down
Jules
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
Jules

PostSubject: Re: A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do?   A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 3:36 pm

Yep signing is a whole new language & its not the same in every part of England either.... dialects exist!!! which is why I suggested using someone who could already sign.

Its not to be taken lightly & definately not something to be used on the move. Mirrors for Lip reading ??? R u mad. They would be looking in the mirrors for your lips instead of the road just like with the sign language. Pulling up to discuss things will become very frequent.

Both links were interesting but possibly very basic from a teaching pointing of view especially if your pupil is 'stone' deaf. Not sure there is any legislation apart from maybe informing the DVLA.

I like the subtle advertising tho Chris.. !!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
ChrisandRuth
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
ChrisandRuth

PostSubject: Re: A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do?   A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 5:37 pm

sunny

Thanks for the reply Julie. Very Happy

There is equality legislation that means I can't turn down a pupil because they are deaf.

The Equality Act 2010 gives a whole lot of rights to a range of service users, part of the reason for posing this question was to make people aware that we should be prepared to teach anyone.

Informing the DVLA is interesting, does anyone know when the DVLA needs to be informed of a medical condition or whether an ADI is allowed to do that, would we be in breach of data protection or confidentiality?

sunny
Back to top Go down
Jules
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
Jules

PostSubject: Re: A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do?   A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 4:40 am

Well there may be legislation but as with any pupil if you feel you can't help them become a safe driver for whatever reason then you shouldn't take them on. They would get better value for money elsewhere.

Had the dvla issue on your course. Depends on the condition. Your George argued with me that the Dvla needed to be informed about a heart attack. They don't as a proved to him by printing out the page. I knew coz my husband had a heart attack 18months ago so I'd research it. He was surprised & I think abit annoyed. But it proves the point that not all serious conditions need to be reported. As an adI you should research it & advise your pupil but it would be down to them to inform the Dvla surely. I wouldn't be happy doing it. Embarassed

Last edited by Jules on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Max

PostSubject: Re: A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do?   A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 5:21 am

ChrisandRuth wrote:
sunny

Thanks for the reply Julie. Very Happy

There is equality legislation that means I can't turn down a pupil because they are deaf.

The Equality Act 2010 gives a whole lot of rights to a range of service users, part of the reason for posing this question was to make people aware that we should be prepared to teach anyone.

Informing the DVLA is interesting, does anyone know when the DVLA needs to be informed of a medical condition or whether an ADI is allowed to do that, would we be in breach of data protection or confidentiality?

sunny

There's a list of notifiable conditions at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I've never had this issue as an ADI, but I think I would have to refuse any lessons until the pupil had notified the DVLA and I'd seen the response.

As for informing the DVLA myself, it would definitely be a breach of confidentiality. And if I'd written it down somewhere, also data protection!
Back to top Go down
ChrisandRuth
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
ChrisandRuth

PostSubject: Re: A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do?   A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 1:58 pm

sunny

Hi both Laughing

Followed your link Max and this is what it said

Deafness and driving
Car or motorcycle driving licence holders
If you hold a car or motorcycle driving licence - you will not need to tell DVLA about your medical condition.

Deafness is not genrally considered a disability, more a language issue. For example, if I wanted to give driving lessons to someone from Lithuania, I would need to use simple signs. As we get to know each other, communication gets easier. The same with someone who is deaf. Very Happy

As a service provider, or an education provider, the legislation states that I must make reasonable adjustments to provide my service to anyone who wants to use it. The new act states that I must be proactive about this. So if a deaf person wants to drive a manual transmission car and I teach people to drive manual transmission cars. The deaf person has a right to expect I can provide that service to them. If they wanted to drive an automatic transmission car, it would not be reasonable to expect me to buy a car for one pupil. Under those curcumstances I can then refer the potential pupil to someone else.

You have anticipated one of my future pupils Julie Laughing I have many others however lol!

The at a glance guide from DVLA has some surprising stuff in it Smile If you have a pacemaker fitted, you must cease driving for a week. Laughing

sunny
Back to top Go down
Jules
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
Jules

PostSubject: Re: A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do?   A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 2:21 pm

Yep I know that one have a 'sister in law' with one thats coz it could potentally go wrong. A heart attack you die or you recover then you are only as likely as someone else to have another heart attack coz you are on medication.

I dont agree with the legislation. I am doing a deaf person a diservice if I take them on knowing full well that I would perhaps be experimenting with them. I certainly would not be happy with that. The pupil I had last year had 30% hearing but had hearing aids so I just had to adapt. It was fine.

If I had to teach someone who couldnt hear at all ( your man at QEF for instance ... so sorry I have forgotten his name) I wouldnt know where to start. So it would take me far longer to teach him. Yes if I was told to by law to then I would get around it somehow but it may cost them a fortune in lessons. If I knew someone who could do a better job, I would refer them to them.

Legislation is there to allow the deaf person equal rights. I think it actually could make it much easier for some people to take advantage of them !!! just a thought scratch
Back to top Go down
ChrisandRuth
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
ChrisandRuth

PostSubject: Re: A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do?   A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 2:35 pm

sunny

You are right of course.
But I think if you are up front and honest, there would be no problem.
You might surprise yourself and offer them a good service Julie, unlike somone trying to rip them off lol!

Clive was the person giving the talk. Did you feel that you had difficulty with comunicating with Clive? I think if he needed driving lessons, you would be able to provide them.

Part of the difficulty I think is that this is an area that is completely neglected in our training.

sunny
Back to top Go down
Jules
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
Jules

PostSubject: Re: A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do?   A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 3:01 pm

To be honest Chris he made me want to cry he seemed such a lovely man. I just wanted to hug him.... Not the thing to do on a course!!!

He did lip read v well but he did need his friend to sign a fair bit too. I suppose the worry for me would be that when teaching people to drive things sometimes have to be said & taken in quickly. I think a totally deaf person would struggle with that. I use lots of diagrams /photos etc which obviously speak a thousand words. So I suppose I would also have to change my routes explain things totally while stationary, lots of pulling up & maybe try to have someone that could sign sitting in the back in the early stages.

Then see how it goes.

I know my training was rubbish when I look back. But I like to think I have & still am learning about the way people are. Disabilites mental or physcal are totally ignored. Psychology isnt even given a mention in training but its fundamental as far as I am concerned. Its been a real surprise to me how people are so different !!! Wink
Back to top Go down
ChrisandRuth
Amazing Member
Amazing Member
ChrisandRuth

PostSubject: Re: A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do?   A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 2:52 pm

sunny

Hi Julie

Did you notice a link in Ozzies post to a Psycology department Very Happy
It does get in everywhere, your so right Very Happy

sunny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do?   A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A deaf person rang me for lessons. What do I do?
Page 1 of 1